After the surprising departure of Max Kruse, those responsible at 1. FC Union Berlin are not assuming a drop in performance in fourth place in the Bundesliga.
“Of course we believe that we have a team that can be successful,” said Oliver Ruhnert, managing director of professional football, in a media round.
Coach Urs Fischer was just as unenthusiastic as he and everyone else. In any case, the Swiss coach is one who tends to say: “I train with people who want to.”
Ruhnert also emphasized that there was no agreement that Kruse would not be allowed to play against them in the second leg in early March. “It’s silly for me. We’re playing against eleven players, I don’t care if Max Kruse is one of them.”
The 33-year-old former national player left the club from Berlin-Köpenick at the end of the transfer period and returned to a former employer, VfL Wolfsburg. Kruse also cited a higher-paying contract with Bundesliga rivals as a reason. “If it were just twice that, we might talk again,” said Ruhnert.
Kruse personally informed her of his change request on Thursday or Friday last week. “Very late,” emphasized Ruhnert. He had to accept this offer, Kruse explained.
“With all due respect, how are we supposed to do that now?” was the initial reaction from those responsible for the union. “Then a development came in,” said Ruhnert. There was initially an offer from Wolfsburg, which they rejected. The Union agreed to the second. The capitals wanted to talk to Kruse in March about a possible extension of the contract – after the planned almost two years.