News

Serious abuse allegations: Man United professional Greenwood arrested

English soccer player Mason Greenwood has been arrested by police in Manchester because of serious allegations of violence by his girlfriend. The authorities announced this on Sunday. Manchester United had previously released its player from training and games “until further notice”.

Manchester police did not name Greenwood. However, the statement read congruently with the allegations against the professional in the room.

Greenwood’s girlfriend had published photos and audio recordings on Instagram on Sunday morning. It showed some bleeding injuries and bruises on the young woman’s body and apparently Greenwood also heard how the Red Devils’ up-and-coming star wants to force his partner to engage in sexual activity. The postings in which Greenwood was clearly named as the perpetrator were deleted again on Sunday.

“He remains in custody and is being questioned”

“Investigations are ongoing. We can confirm that a man in his 20s has been arrested on suspicion of sexual abuse and physical assault,” the police said. “He remains in custody and is being questioned.”

As soon as the photos and recordings were distributed, Manchester announced that they would examine the allegations against their winger. “We are aware of the images and allegations circulating on social media. We will not make any further comments until the facts are clarified. Manchester United does not condone violence of any kind,” the club was quoted as saying.

Greenwood was previously a regular in the squad of German team manager Ralf Rangnick. The homegrown player has made 16 of his 18 appearances this season in the starting line-up of the former Champions League winner. Greenwood, who also played an international match for the home country of football in 2020, also played three matches in the European premier class on the way to the round of 16.

Man City pro on bail outside

Greenwood has become the second Premier League professional in just a few months to be suspected of violent behavior against women. Manchester City’s French world champion Benjamin Mendy was remanded in custody last August on suspicion of multiple sex crimes. At the beginning of the month, the authorities released the 27-year-old on bail and “under strict conditions”.

Mendy is accused of eight counts of rape and one sexual assault against a total of five women. The incidents are said to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021, and at least one of the alleged victims was a minor. The left-back is to be tried in the summer.

Mendy had already been suspended by his club Manchester City at the end of August until the criminal proceedings had been completed. His contract with team manager Pep Guardiola’s club runs until 2023. The defender played his last international match in November 2019.

.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button