Sports director Rouven Schröder from FC Schalke has commented on the failed transfer of Celtic professional Christopher Jullien.
“It doesn’t fit in the current situation, no agreement has been reached,” said Schröder in asky“-Interview and added: “It is important to us in the consideration that we are 100 percent convinced.”
Schalke have basically prepared very well for the possible signing of the 29-year-old central defender. “We conveyed certain things clearly from the start,” emphasized Schröder.
The fact that the transfer burst on the home stretch is not a huge problem for Schröder. “It’s a process that can happen. We’re in professional football, things can happen that don’t lead to agreement,” said the Schalke sports director, without going into the specific reasons for the differences.
Jullien had already completed the medical check at Schalke on Tuesday. It was planned that the Frenchman would extend his contract with Celtic, which expired in 2023, and then be loaned out to Gelsenkirchen.
No agreement between FC Schalke 04 and Celtic?
According to “WAZ” and “Sport1”, the Royal Blues and the Scottish record champions could not agree on a loan deal in the final negotiations.
However, “Sky” reports that Schalke have refrained from committing to Jullien.
The overall package of salary expectations and the risk of an old knee injury was said to be too big for the Bundesliga promoted.
Schröder does not rule out an agreement with Jullien
Schröder did not entirely rule out that Jullien would end up at FC Schalke after all.
“I can’t say whether he won’t come again,” said the 46-year-old: “Christopher is training again at Celtic, we’ll continue here. Let’s see what happens.”
In addition to Schalke 04, however, other clubs are also said to be interested in Jullien. The Scottish portal “footballscottland” linked the two Ligue 1 clubs Stade Rennes and FC Lorient with the former U20 national player of France.