News

Nadal leaves semi-final participation in Wimbledon open

Rafael Nadal only wants to make a decision about participating in the Wimbledon semi-finals after examinations for a muscle injury in the abdominal area.

“There is something more important than winning Wimbledon, that is health. Let’s see how it develops,” said the 36-year-old Spaniard after his quarter-final victory in a five-set crime thriller against US professional Taylor Fritz and announced medical tests on.

The 22-time Grand Slam tournament winner had been treated for his symptoms in the second set and received anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers from a doctor, as he himself reported. During the game, his father and sister signaled him to resign. “It’s something I hate. That’s why I tried to keep going,” Nadal said.

With 4: 6, 7: 5, 3: 6, 7: 5, 7: 6 (10: 4) he defeated Fritz in 4:21 hours and kept the chance of a dream final against defending champion Novak Djokovic from Serbia . After triumphing at the Australian Open and French Open, Nadal still has the opportunity to win the Grand Slam, winning all four major tournaments in a year.

Nadal: “… then I would be a liar”

He will now meet Australian Nick Kyrgios on Friday, who reached his first Wimbledon semi-final by beating Cristian Garin from Chile 6: 4, 6: 3, 7: 6 (7: 5).

He couldn’t give a clear answer if he would play, Nadal said. If he said this and then something else came up, “then I would be a liar”.

Before the start of the tournament, the Spaniard reported that the chronic pain in his left foot had been relieved with a special therapy. In Barcelona, ​​Nadal had undergone pulsed radiofrequency therapy.

The affected foot nerves are numbed with this treatment and can no longer transmit the pain stimulus to the brain. Nadal has been suffering from Müller-Weiss Syndrome, a rare and degenerative disease, for several years.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button