The former tournament winner Angelique Kerber goes to the Australian Open without great expectations after surviving the coronavirus infection.
“It wasn’t really the best preparation,” said Germany’s best tennis player on the TV channel “Eurosport”. Kerber described the fact that she was taking part in the first Grand Slam tournament of the year for the first time without a previous tournament start as a “new challenge”.
The girl from Kiel tested positive for corona in December and only continued her preparation for the new season after Christmas. “I’m very happy and grateful that I can be here,” said Kerber, who turns 34 on Tuesday.
She canceled the WTA tournament in Sydney last week. “I don’t have any great expectations of myself, for me every lap is a big win,” said Kerber. “But who knows, I’m good for a surprise from time to time.” In the first round, the former world number one meets Kaia Kanepi from Estonia. In 2016, Kerber won the Grand Slam tournament in Melbourne.