As previously reported by Sky Sports, the FIA has now officially announced the next steps and plans for its investigation into the controversial Formula 1 season finale in Abu Dhabi last month.
Since the world association announced in the days after Max Verstappen’s title win that it wanted to initiate a comprehensive analysis of the events, there had been no updates or communications regarding this project.
In a statement released on Thursday, the FIA confirmed that the full-scale investigation was underway and outlined what the next steps would be. Newly appointed FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem will consult with both the teams and Formula 1 drivers as part of the analysis, with a focus on the use of the safety car.
The talks with the teams will address “various issues, including this issue” before a “joint discussion with all Formula 1 drivers” at the next stage of the investigation, the statement said.
The outcome of the analysis following these talks will be presented to the Formula 1 Commission in February before the final decisions will then be announced at the World Motor Sport Council meeting in March – just two days before the start of the new season will.
The news comes at a time when Lewis Hamilton’s future remains unclear and a possible resignation is in the air. He said on team radio after the race that it had been “rigged” and has not spoken publicly since a brief interview ahead of the podium ceremony.
Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff revealed in an interview last month that both he and Hamilton are “disillusioned” and that he hopes this won’t prompt the seven-time world champion to leave.
Full text of the FIA declaration
“Following the decision of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris on December 15, 2021, the FIA administration, headed by Mohammed Ben Sulayem, has started the detailed analysis of the events of the last Abu Dhabi Formula 1 Grand Prix.”
“The FIA President is launching a consultation with all Formula 1 teams on various issues, including this issue. On January 19, an item on the agenda of the Sporting Advisory Council will be dedicated to the use of the Safety Car. The following phase will be a joint discussion be with all Formula 1 drivers.”
“The result of the detailed analysis will be presented to the Formula 1 Commission in February and the final decisions will be announced at the World Motor Sport Council in Bahrain on March 18.” (Season starts on March 20th)
“FIA President Ben Sulayem has approached Secretary General for Sport and recently appointed Director of Singles, Peter Bayer, for proposals to review and optimize the organization of the FIA Formula 1 structure for the 2022 season.”