News

Albon talks about his horror crash

Alexander Albon is fit again after his accident at Silverstone and can drive at the Formula 1 weekend in Spielberg. The Williams driver was involved in a tough multi-car incident last Sunday and subsequently had to be flown to the hospital for a check-up. However, he was released there so that he is ready for action.

“I’m fine,” he confirms before the race in Austria. “On Monday I still had some pain, but every day it got better and better. I’m sure that tomorrow (on Friday; editor’s note) I’ll be back at 100 percent.”

From his point of view, it was a pity that Williams was not able to test the big update on his car. The team actually wanted to collect a lot of race kilometers with the completely renewed car, after bad weather had previously kept the knowledge within bounds. But Albon didn’t get far on Sunday.

But the car is repaired enough for Albon to continue his testing at Spielberg – even more so than at Silverstone. “We have everything ready now. In Silverstone it was maybe 80 percent of the update, but here we have everything,” says Albon.

“The guys did a great job fixing everything,” says the Thai, adding that the accident made the car look worse than it actually was. “I was lucky that I hit the wall head-on and didn’t damage all the nice parts on the side.”

“Everything went very quickly”

The other collisions at Turn 1 with Esteban Ocon and Yuki Tsunoda would have done a bit more damage in that regard, “but at least there was less force there so we were still able to salvage some parts.”

On the other hand, the Williams driver can’t say that much about the accident itself: “Everything happened very quickly. I hit the wall and from there everything was like pinball, and I’m just where the cars hit me. But that happened. Fortunately, Zhou was okay. He had the worse accident.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button