Bernard Tomic had already caused a stir on the court with a foreboding on Tuesday, and two days later the Australian tennis professional actually tested positive for the corona virus.
“I feel pretty ill,” the 29-year-old told the Australian newspapers “The Age” and “The Sydney Morning Herald” on Thursday – and confirmed the occurrence of his self-diagnosis, despite which he still went out on Tuesday.
Even during the 1: 6, 4: 6 defeat against the Russian Roman Safiullin in the first qualifying round for the Australian Open, Tomic had caused a stir with strange hints of corona. “I am sure that I will test positive in the next two days,” he told the chair umpire during the match – and even suggested a strange bet.
“I’ll invite you to eat if I don’t test positive in three days. Otherwise invite me to eat,” said Tomic, who, in his opinion, also said the test regulations in the run-up to the Australian Open (from January 17) were insufficient. criticized.
“I can’t believe that nobody is being tested. They allow the players to come out of their room onto the court with quick tests. I beg you,” Tomic scolded: “There are no official PCR tests.”
The Australian was once considered a great talent on the ATP tour, but in recent years he has mostly only made headlines off the court. Tomic is only 257th in the world rankings.